25 April 2012

Vibes and Stuff (Some Seasonal Isht)




As I said previously, back when I used to do radio at a community station on the south side of Chicago, I ended up wearing a variety of hats over the years. So if this here constitutes "breaking format," s'maybe because I used to have a hand in several formats.

My favorite show to do over the years was one I put together myself, a show devoted to a lot of (then-) contempo breaks & beats material. But as the mix might allow, I often ladened the thing with a fair share of "classic material" -- old soul, funk, late '60s-early '70s jazz-funk, early hip-hop, maybe even the occasional disco or dub track, depending on how things lined up. As it is, I've let a lot of that stuff sit on the shelves the past two-three years, letting it fall by the wayside, largely neglected. Until recently, that is. In recent weeks I've been listening to little else but.

Which Would explain why I'm getting all Venus Flytrap this time around.

Anyway, I could go on with this sort of mix for hours. Most of it falling squarely within or on margin or another of the "jazz" thing of a particular vintage. A bunch of old staple tracks, plus me showing my biases with some stuff; which means a lot of midwestern artists, a good portion of which hails from the south-side Chi scene of about 4 decades ago (which may account for some of the more "obvious" selections on the thing). But this means of sharing doesn't allow for hours, so instead here's seventy minutes; which amounts to a "short mix" as far as such things go (or should go), but it'll do for now. Probably likely to throw some regulars downloaders for a loop, but I make no apologies ('cept for the sound quality of a couple of vinyl rips which leave a little something to be desired).

So for those of you who do, have at it...

::: LINK :::

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

No comments:

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP